Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Rapture Question

I am currently reading a book called The Rapture Question Answered, Plain and Simple by Robert Van Kampen. Van Kampen has controversial views on eschatology and is opposed by many evangelicals. Van Kampen is convinced that he has a sound "face-value" hermeneutic for Bible interpretation. And yet, many who oppose his views would also claim to have a face-value hermeneutic. How do we resolve issues like this?

This book was a gift to me from a friend (from here out I'll call him Ermu) who likes to wrestle with the tough issues of Christian faith. Ermu likes Van Kampen's view because it is similar to the eschatological perspective he came to in his own study of end times.

So today, I give you the same question Ermu and I are working through:

What do you believe about the end times, specifically regarding the timing of the rapture and second coming of Christ?

Why do you believe what you believe? Who taught you the view you hold?

Does it even matter? Why?

My purpose for now is not to explain Van Kampen's view. I'll discuss the details of that later.

2 comments:

Christie said...

1. I am not very schooled in this but do think that the church will be present for some of the tribulation.

2. My dad used to hold a pre-trib view and changed about 15 years ago.

3. Yes, it matters. Those that firmly believe we won't go through tribulation could be very disillusioned otherwise.

TimothyP said...

Thanks for posting, Christie! I'm glad to hear your thoughts.