Sunday, October 21, 2007

Hymn: Does Jesus Care?

In 1901, pastor Frank Graeff was inspired by one of my favorite verses from 1 Peter.
"Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7, NIV)
What stood out to Graeff was the last bit - "He cares for you." Graeff had been going through a terrible time of trials and struggles. While meditating on the scriptures, the wonderful truth of this verse struck him. And so he penned this hymn. May it be an encouragement to us. You can hear the melody and read about this hymn on Cyberhymnal.

Does Jesus Care?

Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
Too deeply for mirth or song,
As the burdens press, and the cares distress
And the way grows weary and long?

Chorus

Oh yes, He cares, I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Savior cares.

Does Jesus care when my way is dark
With a nameless dread and fear?
As the daylight fades into deep night shades,
Does He care enough to be near?

Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed
To resist some temptation strong;
When for my deep grief there is no relief,
Though my tears flow all the night long?

Does Jesus care when I’ve said “goodbye”
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks,
Is it aught to Him? Does He see? (Discovery Singers wording: "It is known to him? Does he see?")

I first heard this hymn on the Discovery Singers CD, Great Is Thy Faithfulness. They sing it very well, with a few slight changes in wording from the original text. I really like their layout of the song, too. They sing three verses, then finally end with the chorus. The build-up is great, then at last they arrive at the chorus, singing the hopeful conclusion: "Oh, yes! He cares! . . ."

I find it interesting that Graeff was so encouraged by this passage from Peter, and that he wrote the words as he did for this hymn. It is clear that the assurance of Jesus' concern alone was a sufficient comfort for Graeff during this period of tribulation in his life.

As I have thought about this hymn, I have wondered, "Despite the beauty of its truth, would I really be encouraged by its words in the middle of intense trial?"

I think my inclination would be to say, "If Jesus cares, why isn't he doing something about my trial?!!" I think as Christians, we often prefer action from God. Knowledge of his love can be difficult when we don't sense it. When the grit of life is so real and present, we can find it difficult to receive comfort from the words of scripture or hymns such as this.

So why take comfort from a hymn such as this? Why take peace from knowledge of God's care?

First of all, we must remember that God is sovereign. He has told us to take comfort from him, so we must. I think of Psalm 46:10:
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." (NIV)
This verse brings us back to our senses. "I am God" is one of the most potent statements we can ever hear. All that exists is for the purpose of exalting God. And because he is God, we can be still. We can rest in the knowledge of his sovereignty. And we must.

Second, we know that God trains his people with trials, and he encourages us to learn perseverance. Consider the profound words of James:
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1:2-4
Trials are for our own good. When we look at God's sovereignty during these times, and know that he cares, we can accept the peace he gives. We can remember God's words to Paul:
" 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' " - 2 Corintians 12:9
That is why we can take comfort in him - because his grace is sufficient. When we are weak, there is God's power made known.

Third, I quote the wonderful missionary, elder, and preacher, Don Allen. When speaking about the reality of God not answering earnest prayer as we had hoped:
"When that happens, you yield. You yield."
We must submit to God's majestic rule. As Peter says:
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time." - 1 Peter 5:6
I think that is why the hymnist found peace in his despair. He knew that God's grace is sufficient. He learned the peace of yielding to God's mighty hand, of persevering by the grace of Jesus. When we know that Jesus cares, and believe it, we can take deep rest in him. We can be still in the knowledge of his very existence and majesty. Our trials are a chance for his strength to reign, and for us to be trained and sharpened in the process. It is never easy, for certain. And yet, we obey. He has told us to cast all our anxiety on him, and so we do. No one can carry our burdens or solve our tragedies except Christ alone. That is why it is good to know that Jesus cares.

1 comment:

robert said...

Thanks for posting Pastor Graeff's fine gospel song, and for some excellent comments on it.

Years ago, I did a series of studies called "Truth in Our Trials," about God's purpose in suffering. It lists 12 basic principles and 35 purposes of God related to suffering. You can check it out here...
http://www.wordwise-bible-studies.com/truth-about-suffering.html

Your blog caught my eye this morning because of the hymn. Today is the 79th anniversary of the death of Joseph Hall, who wrote the tune. You can learn a bit more about him on my daily blog about hymn history, Wordwise Hymns.

And one more thing: I'm not sure you realize, but the "Cyber Hymnal" you've linked to is not the original. The latter has been built by the diligent efforts of a man I know, over a period of 13 years. All of his material was copied, without his permission, by another person. I encourage you to use the original for linking. The address is...
http://www.hymntime.com/tch/

God bless