Friday, September 7, 2007

Praying with Expectation, Part 1

This is the first of a two-part series I am going to do. The topic deals with something that has been constantly on my heart and mind over the last few months.

I recently read Richard Foster's book Prayer. I have also been recently involved in situations that needed radical prayer. This all took place after a period where I felt like I needed to study and increase my understanding of prayer. I felt that I knew so little and that there must be more to prayer than I had learned or experienced.

During this time of learning, I have adopted principles I gained from reading Foster, as well as Klaus Issler's Wasting Time With God and John Piper's Future Grace. Specifically, I am referring to a principle I have come to call “praying with expectation.”

In Future Grace, Piper encourages the reader to see in scripture God's emphasis on forward-looking faith and hope. He explains that true hope is different from the kind of hope we typically think of. The way I see it, our hope tends to lean on the side of uncertainty and even doubt: “I hope this new job works out” or “I hope the mechanic can fix my car.” But, Piper argues that the kind of hope God calls us to is one like Abraham's. This type of hope is what Piper calls “faith in future grace.” One of the greatest examples in scripture is seen in Abraham. God says to him:
“ 'Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.' ” - Genesis 22:2 (ESV)
Abraham obeys, taking Isaac to the mountain. Isaac questions the situation, wondering what's going on, why they have brought no lamb for the sacrifice. Then we read this profound reply from Abraham:
“ 'God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.' “ - Genesis 22:8
This is a wonderful example of true hope. Abraham believed in God's faithfulness to the point that he placed his hope in what would happen. He was looking forward with expectant faith. His hope wasn't the kind that wonders helplessly. He was sure of what would come. James looks back on this situation:
“You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,' and he was called God's friend.” - James 2:22-23 (NIV)
Abraham had the kind of hope that leads to action. His faith wasn't a simple desire. I ask you to apply your imagination as we continue, putting yourself in Abraham's position.
“When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built the altar there and laid the wood in order and bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son.” - Genesis 22:9-10 (ESV)
We recall Abraham's earlier statement to Isaac (Gen. 22:8). He knew God would provide a way out. How did he know? Scientifically, naturalistically, all the odds were against him. But Abraham's hope was in a faithful and sovereign God who is beyond the workings of nature and common human understanding. Abraham had learned to conquer the doubting faithlessness that plagues us today. Our attitude would probably be something like: “I know God can send an alternative if he wants to. All I can do is wait and see.” How contrary this is to Abraham's understanding of our Father! He didn't doubt, wallowing in self-pity. He took action, waiting expectantly for God's faithfulness. He had faith in future grace, to use Piper's wording. He was actually ready to go through with killing his own son because God had commanded him to. He still knew that God, by his sovereign choice, could take Abraham's only son away. He knew that God had power to demand his will. And yet he knew God would supply. This can seem quite paradoxical. But in my studies, I have come to find that many things are paradoxical with the almighty God. Abraham readily obeyed, and yet hoped expectantly that God would provide an alternative. Abraham's actions were, in a way, prayer.
“But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, 'Abraham, Abraham!' And he said, 'Here am I.' He said, 'Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.' And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son.” - Genesis 22:11-13
God answered Abraham's faith and actions (his wordless prayers), and the situation turned out just as Abraham had expected. The same can be seen in the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and the fiery furnace (Daniel 3:8-30).

One of Piper's central verses in Future Grace is Romans 8:32: “He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?” God loves to answer prayer. He longs to see us trust with the hope of Abraham, the kind of faith that looks forward and prays with expectation, not doubting, but seeing, imagining the outcome in accordance with God's will.

We also see Jesus as an example of powerful prayer, which Foster calls “Authoritative Prayer.” Jesus commands spirits to leave and bodies to heal. This is a striking contrast to many prayers I've heard and prayed myself in today's church: “God, if it is your will, let so and so be healed” or “Lord, let this situation work out, if it is your will.” Then we somberly walk away, hoping God will hear and answer. But I don't think God ever trained us to pray with such a heart. That is why I am so thankful to Piper for teaching me about faith and grace, and to Foster and Issler for teaching me the many facets of and forms of prayer. I can't recommend their books enough.

Now, all of this sounds great in theory. Real life is an altogether different story, isn't it? Your experience may be that prayer seemingly never works out. Maybe you feel that God never answers your prayers, or that he is distant. You may imagine him ignoring you, or saying “no” to all of your heartfelt pleas. Dealing with this difficult and troubling reality will be the subject of my next post.

No comments: